Sofu’s Dog Care Training and Rehabilitation, was founded by Don Wilson owner and trainer. He created Sofu’s Dog Care to help dog owners who struggle with their dogs. We at Sofu’s Dog Care know first hand the struggles owners have with their dogs, the pulling on the leash, not sitting, downing, or staying in place. We can help you with these struggles. We will train your dog and teach you how to have an obedient dog. Don is a proud member of Train The Trainers (T-3) founded by Sean O’shea and Jeff Gellman.
Am I the right trainer for you? Are you the right client for me?
In order to be successful at transforming your dogs behavior, it is important for you to be familiar with my philosophy and the training techniques I use. I make information readily available to all my clients (and non-clients) on my website. I want you to be comfortable with my training tools and just as excited to train dogs as I am!
Here are some qualities in a client that I feel are absolutely necessary for success:
• I want you to recognize that there’s a problem. You’re not the problem, but there is a problem. Something you’re doing is contributing to that problem, and you’re going to have to make some changes if you want to get different results.
• I need you to be 100% comfortable with my training techniques. You should be open to a balanced training approach. Yes, we will use praise and reward our dogs, but we will also correct bad behavior. This brings me to my next point…
• With a lot of my clients I tell them to put a 30 to 60 day hold on “over-praising” their dog. That doesn’t mean you can never give praise, but I’m talking about over praising your dog–it’s not working. If giving your dog verbal, physical, and food praise was working, you wouldn’t be looking for help. There will be plenty of time for praise; to me the best reward for a dog is inclusion in our lives. You will be very happy when we create an environment that can be shared with your dog in a controlled manner–where your dog behaves politely and understands what is expected of him.
• I need you to follow up with 100% of my training program. I have a system and philosophy of training that works. I’m looking for people that are going to take my advice, techniques, and tools, apply them to their life and get positive results.
• I’m looking for clients that are going to follow through with their homework. The concept that we’re going to work together an hour per week or that sending your dog to a board and train will be all the training your dog needs, is not going to work. Your follow through at home is imperative to the success of your dog’s training.
• I need the whole family on board. This includes the other dogs in the home, as well. Dogs are influenced by everyone around them, so I need everybody to be on board with everything–my tools, my techniques, my philosophy, the exercise, and the household management program. We’re not just training ONE dog–we are creating a new lifestyle for an ENTIRE family!
• I want to make sure that you’re going to follow through with my household management program–this can be tricky for people. Your dog might have to get off of the bed and furniture. You may also have to start crating your dog at night. Your dog will need to be in a command for long periods of time, multiple times per day. There’s a reason that I’m going to make these suggestions–I want your dog to be happy and fulfilled while cohabiting with your family. I want our messages to be consistent. It is counter productive to send mixed and confusing signals to your dog.
• Just like people, dogs need daily exercise. I need all of my clients to commit to a daily exercise routine. That doesn’t mean just letting your dog in the back yard, but actually taking daily structured walks. Exercise and routine are key to the success of my training.
To me, dog training is not a series of commands rewarded by a treat. Dog training is a lifestyle, rewarded by inclusion in our lives. I want the whole family to benefit from our experience together–I want a successful and balanced pack of humans and dogs living peacefully and happy together. If you are willing to take this journey, we can make that happen!